johnathan
knuttle
2023-06-21 21:48:14 UTC
Is there a German name that would be equivalent to the English name
Johnathan?

Am trying to trace an ancestor from one community to another.

The time period is in the late 1700's in central and western Pennsylvania.

To my knowledge there were many German and Swiss settlers in the area.

We have document signed with the German spelling of Miller (Mueller).
It is thought the transcribed first name is Johannes (best we can make
of the written signature. ) We have a Johnathan Miller in the other
location. Could these to people be the same person?
Martin Τrautmann
2023-06-22 08:02:55 UTC
Post by knuttle
Is there a German name that would be equivalent to the English name
Johnathan?
Jonathan. The old Johnathan could be found as well. Variation Jonatan.

<https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_(Vorname)>
Post by knuttle
We have document signed with the German spelling of Miller (Mueller).
or "Müller"
Post by knuttle
It is thought the transcribed first name is Johannes (best we can make
of the written signature. ) We have a Johnathan Miller in the other
location. Could these to people be the same person?
At that time the baptised name could be very different to the name in
daily use. So anything could be possible, since the boy only knew his
name as e.g. Jon. However, Johannes and Johnathan are very different.
knuttle
2023-06-22 11:37:56 UTC
Post by knuttle
It is thought the transcribed first name is Johannes (best we can make
of the written signature. ) We have a Johnathan Miller in the other
location. Could these to people be the same person?
At that time the baptised name could be very different to the name in
daily use. So anything could be possible, since the boy only knew his
name as e.g. Jon. However, Johannes and Johnathan are very different.
Thanks for helping me with my problem..

I had hoped that would lead to a new line of research for an old
problem